Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Aloha Fest and Aloha Leadership; It's a Small World!



Emceeing Aloha Fest in Boulder this past week was a fantastic experience! Not only were the thousands of people who attended treated to amazing Polynesian food and culture, but the spirit of Ohana was everywhere. Perhaps this is true in every small community, but whenever I attend a Hawaiian event I meet people that I instantly bond with. And sometimes, it happens after the event.


I left my briefcase next to the stage on Saturday night and didn't realize my mistake until I pulled into our driveway. A not-so-convenient 90 minute commute from Boulder. A call to the event organizer produced no results, so I fretted a bit about my misfortune and forgetfulness.

Three days later, I attended an ISES event (http://isesdenver.com/) to hear one of America's networking and networthing experts speak, my friend Sarah Michel CSP(http://www.perfectingconnecting.com/) I was fortunate to sit next to "Alyson", a complete stranger. We chatted after lunch, and as we talked it became apparent that we both had been at Aloha Fest that weekend. Further conversation revealed that Alyson's husband had helped me on stage. Another minute, and Alyson exclaimed "Mark has your briefcase!"

It truly is a small world, when you take the time to talk to strangers. And in Hawaii, no-one is a stranger. Check out some great video of Polynesian dancers at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6haG_7pDsE






No comments:

Post a Comment